Our container projects are known for their quick turnaround time. We push the limits of construction by producing completely turnkey structures in 90 days or less. So when A2E contacted us to design, develop, and deploy a 13-container 2-story structure for the GOP convention in 31 days, we knew we were up to the challenge. The space needed to serve as a central hub for RNC attendees and media to gather, discuss, and most of all, share their experiences with the world through Facebook’s digital platform and Facebook Live.
With the help of A2E, Facebook, and Ohio Awning, we manufactured and installed a massive structure that housed Facebook Live’s broadcasting studio and green room, Instagram’s #minioval photo opportunity, Oculus Rift Virtual reality experience, VIP seating, concessions, and meeting rooms.
Because of the unusual footprint, and the close proximity to the Quicken Loans Arena, we chose to build up, and not out. The top levels of Facebook’s activation were packed with camera and lighting equipment that was perfect for the big networks and attendees to shoot and broadcast from the location.
Facebook’s high level/ luxury finishes included:
- Custom cut tempered glass railings with anti-glare coatings to reduce light reflection when filming in studio
- Matte auto paint for tough finishes that don’t overpower branding;
- Dye-sublimated fabric awnings and stairwells with custom Facebook mosaic vector artwork;
- Maple veneer plywood, raw where applicable, add a cabinet-grade wall and ceiling covering for warmth in lieu of cheaper, harsher materials;
- Architectural shade fabric made from vinyl coated high tenacity polyester for privacy without obscuring views;
- Lightweight Italian aluminum for high span and load strength;
- Stone and cedar drink service happy hour bar.
Facebook at Freedom Plaza was noted on several broadcast networks and media contributors as the most successful operation at the GOP convention. Attendees flooded the structure to attend meetings, participate in product demonstrations, and to join in on exclusive VIP parties. Interviews featured in the Facebook Live studio included former Speaker, Newt Gingrich, Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn, and journalist Dan Rather.